What a powerful quote! What if we changed it a bit?
“…the time CTOs devote to building the capacity of their tech dept team to work collaboratively, the more effective those individual members will be.”
I shudder to think what would happen if we failed to learn to work collaboratively in schools and technology departments. For example, in schools, we’d probably have the following situation:
- Teachers plan alone then meet each other once a week to exchange lesson plans that don’t make sense to anyone but the individual who wrote them.
- Adversarial relationships are setup between campus admins and teachers.
- Crucial confrontations about poor behaviors–on the part of admins and teachers–would never occur.
- We would develop a common vision based on a strong foundation of team synergy rather than individual dysfunction.
- We would challenge mundane ideas and welcome a little crazy in to help us all think outside the box.
- We wouldn’t be afraid to express our ideas because our goal was to improve the ideas, achieve common vision, rather than avoid crucial confrontations.
- We would make sure that our team mates were affirmed, not just by the boss, but by each other.
Check out Miguel’s Workshop Materials online at http://mglearns.wikispaces.com