|Image Source: http://goo.gl/Ap9yVv|
The goal of the technology lending program appears to be a desire to ensure students have access to “loaned equipment” for learning at school and at home. Could this be a move to provide students with devices they can take home and bring back to school, addressing the need of students who maybe don’t have the finances to buy their own BYOT/BYOD device?
You can read the full announcement online at TEA’s web site. Some of the relevant parts:
- The program awards grants to Texas public school districts and open-enrollment charters to implement a technology lending program to loan students the equipment necessary to access and use electronic instructional materials.
- In awarding grants, the TEA will consider the availability of existing equipment to students in the Texas public school district or open-enrollment charter school and other funding available to the school district or open-enrollment charter school.
- With the Technology Lending Program Grant, districts can move forward with the implementation of electronic instructional materials while ensuring access for students through loaned equipment for learning at school and at home.
- $10,000,000 is appropriated for the Technology Lending Program Grant. It is anticipated that approximately 130 grants will be awarded ranging in amounts from $50,000 to $100,000.
- Applicants should plan for a starting date of no earlier than October 1, 2014, and an ending date of no later than August 31, 2016.
- The complete RFA is posted on the TEA Grant Opportunities page at http://burleson.tea.state.tx.us/GrantOpportunities/forms/GrantProgramSearch.aspx for viewing and downloading. In the “Select Search Options” box, select the name of the RFA from the drop-down list. Scroll down to the “Application and Support Information” section to view all documents that pertain to this RFA.
- frequently asked questions (FAQs) at http://burleson.tea.state.tx.us/GrantOpportunities/forms. In the “Select Search Options” box, select the name of the program/RFA from the drop-down list. Scroll down to “Application and Support Information” to view all documents that pertain to this RFA.
- Four copies of the application, with an original signature on Schedule #1—General Information on three of the copies (blue ink preferred), must be received 5:00 p.m. Central Time, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, to be eligible to be considered for funding.
As one colleague put it to me, grants often bring more work than benefit. However, having been part of several technology grants, including the $2.4 million grant awarded for the Pathways to Advance Virtual Education (PAVE), it’s definitely worth pursuing.
Make Donations via PayPal below: